THE
suspended President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Ayo Isa Salami, has
reportedly tendered his notification of retirement to the National
Judicial Council (NJC).
He is retiring on October 15, 2013 when he would be 70.
He was suspended by the council on August 18, 2011 for misconduct.
A spilt majority vote reinstated him on May 10, 2012, but was kept out of office by series of pending litigation, including the one he instituted, which challenged his suspension by the court.
His case and others brought by former governors of Osun and Ekiti states, Olagunsoye Oyinlola and Segun Oni, respectively, were still pending in different courts.Though no official confirmation came from the council, a top source confirmed to the Nigerian Tribune that his notification of retirement had been accepted by the council, in accordance with the service rule that stipulated that judicial officer turned in such notification three months to the exit date.
The notification was said to have been turned in last week.
One of his counsel in his suit against the council, Chief Emeka Ngige, told the Nigerian Tribune on Thursday, in a telephone conversation, that the tendering of the notification to retire “was in compliance with civi service rule.”
He added that what Salami did was “to obey the civil service rule of notifying your employer of retirement date, three months to the final day.”
Another source close to Salami also indicated that he might not withdraw his suit against the council.
“The issues are live matters. The course of action in the case is challenging the powers of NJC to interfere in Sokoto matter, not primarily to challenge his suspension.
“It was after he was suspended by the council in the course of challenging the interference in the Sokoto case that he applied for the suspension to be set aside, using the case that was already ongoing.
“So, the matters there are still alive and there would be no reason for us to withdraw the case simply because he would be leaving or because he tendered retirement notice,” the source said.
Source: Tribune
He is retiring on October 15, 2013 when he would be 70.
He was suspended by the council on August 18, 2011 for misconduct.
A spilt majority vote reinstated him on May 10, 2012, but was kept out of office by series of pending litigation, including the one he instituted, which challenged his suspension by the court.
His case and others brought by former governors of Osun and Ekiti states, Olagunsoye Oyinlola and Segun Oni, respectively, were still pending in different courts.Though no official confirmation came from the council, a top source confirmed to the Nigerian Tribune that his notification of retirement had been accepted by the council, in accordance with the service rule that stipulated that judicial officer turned in such notification three months to the exit date.
The notification was said to have been turned in last week.
One of his counsel in his suit against the council, Chief Emeka Ngige, told the Nigerian Tribune on Thursday, in a telephone conversation, that the tendering of the notification to retire “was in compliance with civi service rule.”
He added that what Salami did was “to obey the civil service rule of notifying your employer of retirement date, three months to the final day.”
Another source close to Salami also indicated that he might not withdraw his suit against the council.
“The issues are live matters. The course of action in the case is challenging the powers of NJC to interfere in Sokoto matter, not primarily to challenge his suspension.
“It was after he was suspended by the council in the course of challenging the interference in the Sokoto case that he applied for the suspension to be set aside, using the case that was already ongoing.
“So, the matters there are still alive and there would be no reason for us to withdraw the case simply because he would be leaving or because he tendered retirement notice,” the source said.
Source: Tribune
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment