LAGOS – Festus Keyamo has confirmed
the kidnap of a prominent Lagos-based lawyer and social critic by gunmen .
“I have just received with shock,
the news of the kidnap of my learned friend and brother, Chief Mike Ozekhome…,”
Festus Keyamo, a lawyer, said in a statement Saturday.
Keyamo could not immediately say
when exactly Ozekhome was abducted.
However, he described the incident
as “one kidnap too many and it further draws local and international attention
to the poor state of security in our country.”
“It also highlights the state of
joblessness among youths in our country which is one reason why they turn to
this dangerous trade for their livelihood,” he said.
Keyamo appealed to the kidnappers to
release Ozekhome, a senior lawyer and staunch critic of corrupt and bad
governments in Nigeria.
National police spokesman Frank Mba
told AFP a manhunt had been launched for the kidnappers.
“Police are on the trail of the
gunmen and we will do everything humanly and operationally possible to ensure
that the learned lawyer is released unharm,” Mba said.
Kidnapping for ransom, which was
rife in the soulthern oil-producing Niger Delta before a 2009 amnesty deal for
oil militants, has spread to other parts of the country in recent months with
prominent Nigerians and their relations becoming targets
Source: Vanguard

No comments:
Post a Comment