President Goodluck Jonathan has said that
members of the All Progressives Congress and other opposition parties will be
“more confused” in 2015 as they prepare to wrest power from the
Peoples Democratic Party.
Jonathan, at the 62nd National Executive
Committee meeting of the PDP in Abuja on Thursday, said any
party or group that believed that the PDP would be rocked by crises during the
2015 elections would be “terribly disappointed.”
But the APC, through its Interim
National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said the
President would wake up one day and realise that in politics, “there is a limit
to good luck. “
Jonathan had told the NEC
members, who resolved to shelve Saturday’s South-West
congress of the party that the early commencement of political
activities was not unconnected with opposition’s worry
over the “intimidating credentials” of the PDP.
The President also attributed the formation of new
political parties to the quest by some desperate politicians
to defeat the PDP in 2015. According to him, those
behind the new parties are “confused and would continue to be
confused.”
He said that the turnout at the NEC meeting
was a clear reflection of the fact that the PDP was intact.
Jonathan said, “I was not expecting to see
so many people especially our senior party members but when I came in and
saw their faces, I thanked God
because those who believe that the PDP is
divided, will all be disappointed.
“The chairman said it all; we thought that
political activities will not start so early in the country, but because of the
intimidating credentials of the PDP, people have started meeting.
“Parties have started coming together, and
new ones are being formed. These are blessings to all of us
because those people behind them are confused about how they
will manage the PDP. They will continue to be confused especially
in 2015.
“And those who continue to think that the PDP cannot
come together; that the PDP cannot manage success will be terribly
disappointed.
“We will go to the Eagle Square (in Abuja)
and take the right decision for our party.”
He said that his administration would continue to
pursue its developmental agenda in line with the PDP
manifesto in such a way that by early next year, even those in doubt
would have nothing to say.
The President said his government would be
able to achieve the feat with the expected cooperation of the PDP.
“A number of things that Nigeria almost forgot
like railways are being brought back. And I believe that by the
time we move into (early) next year, things will become very obvious so
that those who doubt us will not have anything to say. We promise that we
are going to do that with the assistance of the party,” Jonathan added.
He admitted that while it was natural to
have disagreement in a political party, the important thing was the ability of
those involved to resolve their differences and then forge
ahead.
After the meeting, the Acting National Publicity
Secretary of the PDP, Mr. Tony Okeke, read a communiqué in which he
announced the suspension of the South-West congress of the party.
He cited a court order as the
reason for the decision by the NEC. Okeke said that PDP was
committed to the rule of law and upholding the sanctity of the courts.
“INEC unanimously approved and ratified 31 August
2013 as the date for the Special National Convention of the Peoples Democratic
Party (PDP). NEC commended the Special Congresses and Convention Planning
Committee for the efforts so far put in place in the preparation for the
Convention.
“NEC acknowledged the service of a court
order restraining the conduct of the South- West Zonal Congress earlier
scheduled for Saturday, August 24, 2013. In line with our avowed
disposition to upholding the rule of Law and in deference to the court’s
ruling, NEC unanimously approved the postponement of the South-West congress.
“Consequently, NEC directed the National Working
Committee to follow through the court process and when concluded, set a
new date for the congress.”
The meeting had Vice- President
Namadi Sambo; the Deputy Senate President, Mr. Ike
Ekweremadu; the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Alhaji Aminu
Tambuwal; the Chairman of the PDP Board of Trustees, Chief Tony
Anenih; 18 state governors, past chairmen, national secretaries and other party
leaders in attendance.
Earlier, the PDP National Chairman, Dr.
Bamanga Tukur, had dismissed rumours of his imminent removal
as a creation of the media .
Tukur commended the National Reconciliation
Committee of the PDP for the job it had so far done and appealed to
all aggrieved members to “sheathe their swords and enthrone enduring peace” in
the party.
Governor Isa Yuguda of Bauchi State told State
House correspondents that the cordial atmosphere in which the meeting was
conducted was a sign that members were now happy with one another.
He spoke after he and his Gombe State
counterpart, Ibrahim Dankwambo, met behind closed-doors with Jonathan at the
Presidential Villa, Abuja.
“The PDP NEC meeting shows that
the family is together and that everybody is working together. It is a
sign of good things to come. We are now happy with one another. The family is
together and if there was a problem, we would have stayed longer to solve it,’’
Yuguda added.
Our correspondents learnt that the NEC did not
discuss the issue of automatic tickets for Jonathan and first term governors in
order not to create further crisis in the party.
A member of the party’s NEC confided in our
correspondent that the PDP leadership believed that discussing the issue would
deepen the crisis rocking the party.
Our source said a majority of the NEC
members felt that it was unwise to throw such a matter in the open on a
day several of the governors who had been refusing to attend the party’s
meetings were back in its fold.
According to him, it is the general
belief in the PDP that there was enough time to handle the issue of
automatic tickets.
He said, “Sincerely, I can tell you that
this issue of automatic tickets was not mentioned at the meeting; the two
issues were the ratification of the August 31 date for the special
national convention, and the suspension of the zonal ongress for
the South-West.
“You know that an issue as sensitive as automatic
ticket can not be discussed in that open place; it will deepen the crisis
in the party. How can you be reconciling and be putting that on your agenda?
“The party believes that there is time; such
thing is better handled in a strategic way.”
Reacting to the President on what awaited the
opposition, the APC Interim spokesperson advised him to devote his
energies to resolving the crisis in the PDP instead of
wishing other political parties ill-luck.
“Clearly, President Jonathan is still
relying on luck to defeat the opposition APC in 2015 and that is why he says we
will be confused and disappointed. On the contrary, the President will
wake up one day to realise that in this business, there is a limit to good
luck. Not only has his luck run out on President Goodluck Jonathan,
he has exhausted his good will with Nigerians,” Mohammed said in an
SMS to one of our correspondents.
According to him, the APC would rather engage
the President in meaningful issues of national development. He added that the
opposition party would continue to strategise on how to get Jonathan out of
power in 2015.
“If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. The
President should focus his energies to the crisis in his party instead of
wishing opposition parties ill-luck. We are strategising to ensure that
Nigerians vote for us in 2015; so we prefer to engage him on meaningful
issues.”
Source: Punch

No comments:
Post a Comment