THE teenage stowaway, Daniel Ihekina, who was arrested at the
Lagos Airport after flying in the tyre hole of an Arik plane from Benin to
Lagos on Saturday morning, thought he was on a US-bound flight.
A
source at the Benin Airport who disclosed this said the boy’s parents had
already departed for Lagos in search of the stowaway.
The
airport source, who did not want his name in print said, “From what we heard,
the boy said he was being maltreated and tried to escape from his parents. He
thought he was on his way to the US.
“The
parents have travelled to Lagos by road, to get him back.”
Meanwhile,
investigations conducted by one of our correspondents in Lagos revealed that
the boy had been handed over to the operatives of the State Security Services
for further investigation.
The
General Manager, Corporate Communications, Federal Airports Authority of
Nigeria, Mr. Yakubu Dati, who also confirmed the development, said the aviation
security personnel of the agency had handed over the young voyager to the men
of the SSS for extensive investigation.
Dati
said, “The residential address the boy gave to us was traced to a church in
Benin by our airport manager and his team. So, there is need to hand over the
teenager to the SSS who are experts in such investigations. They will carry out
further investigation on the matter.”
The
FAAN spokesman said the nature and circumstances surrounding the crime informed
the agency decision to hand over the stowaway to the SSS operatives.
Meanwhile,
following the Benin Airport incident, FAAN has adopted the ‘risk amelioration
processes to safeguard flight operations’ at all its 22 airports across
the country.
Dati
stressed that the agency had tightened its risk amelioration procedure to
ensure that similar incident did not occur again.
He
also said the agency had prioritised the perimeter fencing of all the 22
airports in the country.
“In
the meantime, we have adopted risk amelioration processes to safeguard flight
operations. As a result of this incident in Benin, we have further tightened
our risk amelioration procedure to ensure that a similar incident does not
occur,” he said.
However,
FAAN has also continued to trade blame with Arik Air over the Benin incident.
The
agency, in a statement on Sunday, said it read with “great dismay the statement
released by Arik Airlines about the stowaway found on board Arik’s flight 544
from Benin to Lagos on Saturday 24 August, 2013.”
Dati
said FAAN was “unfairly indicted” while the airline took no responsibility
whatsoever for such a “serious security breach.”
FAAN
said its preliminary investigation had revealed that Arik did not give accurate
account of the Benin Airport incident.
Giving
the accounts of its preliminary findings, FAAN said, “Our investigations reveal
that a passenger on board the flight called the attention of the cabin crew
while the aircraft was waiting to take off at the threshold of the runway, to
the effect that they had seen a young boy walk under the aircraft and had not
seen him re-appear on the other side.”
“The
cabin crew in turn informed the pilots in the cockpit about this. The pilots
called the control tower and asked them to request FAAN to do a sweep of the
area after their departure, opting to carry on with their flight despite the
report.”
“Upon
the arrival of the aircraft in Lagos, we were informed that there had been a
stowaway found alive alighting from the wheel well of the aircraft. While FAAN
takes this security breach extremely seriously, we deem Arik’s attempt at
indicting and smearing FAAN as irresponsible. Safety and security breaches
occur when all the checks in the system are beaten. Given that security
is a responsibility for all players in this industry, a critical last
opportunity to detect and prevent this stowaway was offered and had the airline
taken the information by passengers as seriously as they should have, this
incident would have been avoided.”
Source: Punch

No comments:
Post a Comment