21 August, 2013

UNCERTAINTY OVER CUSTOMS’ BOSS TENURE



There is uncertainty in government circle over the continued presence of the Comptroller-General of Nigeria Customs Service, Dikko Abdullahi, in office.
Dikko’s current tenure expired on August 17, 2013,(on Saturday) having been appointed by late President Umar Yar’ Adua in 2009.
While stakeholders, especially top Customs officials were waiting for President Goodluck Jonathan to either name a replacement for Dikko or announce an extension of tenure, some curious advertisements recently surfaced in some national newspapers.
Authors of the  adverts had, on August 13,  congratulated the Customs’ boss over the alleged extension of his tenure by two years, a feat they attributed to his hard work.
The advertisers, who claimed to be Abdullahi’s friends, stated, “Congratulations to the great man for the two years extension in office approved by the President, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, GCFR.

“This extension attests to the stuff you are made of. Ride on sir, you are a man amongst men, officer among officers.”
They said that Nigerians appreciated his good work.
Investigations by our correspondent on Tuesday, however, showed that Jonathan had not made any formal pronouncement on the issue.
Presidency sources, who pleaded anonymity because they are not in the President’s media team, said no decision had been taken on the matter.
They were, however, of the view that Dikko might be allowed to continue in office.
A source said, “Issues of appointments or re-appointments are not secret matters.
“I can confirm to you that there is no such announcement yet. The President has not made any formal pronouncement on the matter. Except if he told the Customs boss informally to continue, no formal announcement on it.”
Another source said government officials had decided to keep mum on the matter since there was no formal pronouncement and they did not know the thinking of the President on Dikko’s fate.
Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, could not be reached for comment at the time of filing this report.
When contacted on the issue, the Customs Public Relations Officer, Mr. Wale Adeniyi said that the appointment of the CG is not a tenured,  adding that all attempts to get the sponsors of the advert had been futile.
He said in an SMS reply to our correspondent’s inquiry, “I don’t know the advertisers or their source of tenure extension story.
“CG’s position is not a tenured appointment. It’s strictly at the discretion of Mr President.”
It will be recalled that the Chairman of the House Committee on Customs, Sabo Mohammed Nakudu, had on July 30, said that the office of the Customs boss was not subject to a fixed tenure.

Source: Punch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...