16 September, 2013

MOTHER FAULTS SON’S CLAIM ON FAMILY HOUSE

A widow, Mrs. Comfort Ebubechukwu, has faulted the claim of her 44-year-old son, Ikechukwu Ozichukwu, that he was not aware that the family house in FESTAC had been sold until the new buyer tried to evict him from it.
Ozichuwku had in PUNCH Metro publication of September 11, [READ IT HERE] alleged that his mother sold the semi detached duplex at FESTAC without his input as a co-administrator of his father’s estate.
The father of two had also claimed that in order to help the new owner to evict him, his mother had allegedly petitioned the police, claiming threat to life.
However, Ebubechukwu in an email to our correspondent from the United States, said her first son made the claims because he was not given the N10m he demanded for from the proceeds of the sale. She said he was offered N5m which he rejected.

She said, “His younger brother, Kelechi, offered him N5m through our lawyer, Mr. Sam Eneonuwta, but he turned it down. Ozichukwu later told a neighbour that he wanted N10m. Unfortunately, he cannot get any money again because Kelechi has used it for my medical expenses.”
Debunking the claim that the house was owned by her husband, Ebubechukwu explained that she and her late husband had pooled resources together to win the house.
She said, “My husband died on July 20, 1977, a day after we won the house. I developed that house alone. I owed my children nothing having single handedly raised them after the death of their father.
“For 44 years, Ozichukwu has lived in the same house rent free, while I supported him, his wife and children. He was very much in the know when I sold the house and even signed the papers. It was when I was unable to give him a definite answer of how much he would get from the sale that Ozichukwu got annoyed.
“I had told him that I would give him something from the sale once I was through with my medical treatment. Shortly after this, Ozichukwu began to threaten me.”
The aggrieved mother alleged that Ozichukwu also demanded payment every occasion he had to drive her around in a car that she had bought for him.
She said, “Ozichukwu has never given me a dime in his life. Anytime I went anywhere, he would charge me N1,500. Because of all the agony I have been put through, I have had to undergo several surgeries. I am presently in the United States, undergoing medical treatment for my ailments. Ozichukwu is a source of heartache to me and I have disowned him completely.”
Ozichuwkwu, when contacted said, “I am not interested in the proceeds of the sale; I don’t just want the house sold. It is a family legacy. I have never been cruel to my mother. There was a time my mother was ill for nine years; I took care of her. When she needed funds to go for treatment in India, I gave it to her.”
He added that he had received a summons from the High Court at Ikeja on suit “filed by my mother’s lawyer.”
He said, “The buyer of the house had also filed a suit against my mother since last May 2013 at the Apapa Magistrate’s Court seeking to take possession of the house. There have been six sittings on that case without my knowledge. So right now, I am preparing to join the suit too.”
Source: Punch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...