21 April, 2014

RANDY DPO: POLICE FORCED ME TO SWEAR – VICTIM

• DPO’s mattress is green and white
There are fresh accusations in the allegation that Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in charge of Onikan Police Station, Superintendent of Police (SP) Adekunle 
Awe, raped a detainee, Miss Idowu Akinwunmi.
The victim has also accused the police of forcing her to swear on the Bible before they gave a police report to go for test at the hospital.
Speaking with our correspondent in Lagos, Akinwunmi also alleged that Awe made her to wash her private part with water containing antiseptic after raping her. She said: “He (Awe) said I should wash, but I said no.
He started shouting at me, saying he would make sure I and my brothers go to jail. I went into his toilet. There was a bucket filled with water.
The water contained Dettol. I used it to wash.” When a test was conducted on the victim at the hospital, there was no longer any sign to show that she was raped. Last Thursday, NT Metro exclusively reported that Akinwunmi accused the DPO of raping her while she was in his custody.
Since the news broke out, different Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) had stepped in, promising to get the victim justice. In the midst of it all, the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Abubakar, ordered the Lagos State Police Command to set up a panel to look into the allegation.
But top policemen investigating the case have devised another means to unravel the truth. The panel has decided to quiz Akinwunmi and Awe as well as go to the scene of the crime.
The panel comprised the Officer in Charge of the Human Rights Department in the state command, an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), Olu Falomo, Officer in Charge of X-Squad, a Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP), Kola Okunola, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), in charge of Admin, Felix Ogundeji, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), in charge of operations, Tunde Shobulo and the state Police Public Relations Officer, Ngozi Braide. The panel first met on Thursday night.
The quizzing of Akinwunmi, a mother of two, and Awe started at the Police Command, then moved to Braide’s office at GRA, IKeja. The panel adjourned about 11pm. The DPO’s service pistol was taken from him while he was ordered to be detained. Five other policemen and women were also arrested and detained along with the DPO.
While Awe was detained for rape, other policemen and a woman inspector, all from the station were detained for collecting N30,000 from the victim and her brothers. The policemen are two corporals, a sergeant and an inspector. The inspector is the charge room officer (CRO) of the station. Shobulo signed the detention order of the men.
Awe was also accused of extortion, sexual assault, rape and illegal detention. Before Awe’s arrest, however, he and the lady were asked to explain and described how and where the rape occurred. Each was also asked to describe the DPO’s inner room where the rape occurred. While the description was going, someone was illustrating it on a paper. On Friday, about 2pm, the panel went to the DPO’s office and the girl’s description allegedly tallied. Akinwunmi said: “How can I lie about such a thing? When he called me into his office, after I was brought out from the cell, he asked me if I knew what I did was wrong, I said yes I knew.
I told him that I was sorry, that it will never happen again. “He started touching me. I told him that I was not there for that. He started shouting, he said he would make sure I and my brothers go to jail. He detained my brothers who came to the station to bail me.
“The office has an inner room. He took me to the inner room. There was no bed sheet on the bed and the mattress has green and white colours. The place I later washed after he raped me had a wash basin and paint bucket. A bucket filled with water was there.
Dettol had been poured into the water. The room is painted cream.” The panel will meet again after the Easter break.

Source: New Telegraph

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...