21 May, 2014

POLICE BEEF UP SECURITY AHEAD OF JONATHAN, TINUBU’S VISIT

The police in Ekiti State have increased security presence in parts of the state and deployed anti-bomb personnel to campaign venues as national leaders and other supporters of the All Progressives Congress (APC), hold a campaign rally in the state today.
The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Felix Uyanna, told newsmen in a telephone interview that he had deployed his men to all strategic locations in Ado Ekiti and its suburbs to forestall any breakdown of law and order.
Uyanna also expressed readiness of the police in the state for the expected visit of President Goodluck Jonathan to the state tomorrow (Thursday) to flag-off the campaign of the PDP governorship candidate, Mr Ayò Fayose.

National leaders of the APC, including General Muhammadu Buhari, Senator Bola Tinubu, Chief Bisi Akande and governors of APC-controlled states to drum support for the re-election of Governor Kayode Fayemi.
It is believed that the two campaign rallies would hold at the Oluyemi Kayode Stadium in Ado Ekiti, the state capital.
Uyanna, who spoke through the command’s Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Victor Babayemi added that his men have also commenced a stop-and-search operation on all vehicles to prevent any explosive devices from being brought to wreak havoc on the people.
The Police Commissioner stated that the command is quite aware of the enormity of the President’s visit and the caliber of people that would visit the state, assuring that the two rallies will be devoid of rancour and breakdown of law and order.
He said, “The command has enough manpower to ensure that the rallies are held under a peaceful atmosphere. Once the protection of lives and property is our utmost duty, we are going to do all within our powers to curb any crisis that could lead to loss of lives.
“We have activated all the police units to be able to deal with any situation because we are not unaware of the personalities that will visit the state within the next two days. Our men from the explosive and ordinance department had already commenced operation at the venue of the two rallies. They are combing everywhere as we speak.
“We are not going to limit our operations to this, we are also going to give adequate protection to all the hotels where some of these personalities will be staying. So, we are on top of the situation and we are monitoring situations very carefully”, Uyanna stated.
The police boss added that the command had also put machinery in motion for effective traffic control during the rallies for free flow of vehicular and human movements.
APC planning to disrupt our rally —PDP •We’re tired of their frivolous accusations —APC
By Sam Nwaoko - Ado-Ekiti
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ekiti State has raised the alarm, alleging that the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state has concluded plans to disrupt a rally it had planned with President Goodluck Jonathan in attendance.
According to Ekiti PDP, the APC was “piqued by the massive support-base in Ekiti State in the build-up to the election,” alleging that the APC is “planning to destabilise the hosting of President Jonathan, as he is billed to flag oof the PDP campaign rally as well as presenting the candidate of the party to Ekiti people tomorrow (Thursday).”
According to a statement made available to newsmen in Ado Ekiti by the chairman of the publicity committee of the Peoples Democratic Party for the event, Pastor Kola Oluwawole, “the antics of the APC government in the state is to cause confusion to dissuade people from coming out enmasse to welcome Mr President.”
However, the APC described the allegation as frivolous, saying “the people of the state were tired of the party’s frivolities”
Oluwawole had said: “As a prelude to the APC plans to disrupt the president’s visit, all the billboards that bear PDP logo and the picture of the party’s candidate, Ayo Fayose, in all the strategic locations in the state have been destroyed by the APC thugs, while members of the party were seen parading the towns threatening violence in order to scare people.”
“We believe that the APC resorted to this antics after all efforts to hoodwinked people of the state to sympathise with them in their dwindling electoral fortune has failed but rather orchestrating some further rejection by the electorates.”
“Although, we’ve implored our members not to forment trouble with them but we want to say categorically that there is a limit to a man’s ability to fold his arm in the face of provocation and unwarranted intimidation like this one being perpetrated by the Fayemi-led APC government.”
But the APC, through its Director of Media, Mr Segun Dipe, said “Ekiti PDP is becoming frivolous and Ekiti people are getting tired of their frivolities.”
Dipe said via the telephone: “Our pact is with the people not with PDP. Rather than coming up with phantom allegations all the time, they should make their campaign issue-focused by telling the people what they had done before and what they intend to do again.”
Fayose accuses govt of booking all hotels in Ekiti with N100m •It’s non-issue —APC

Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the June 21 governorship election in Ekiti State, Mr Ayodele Fayose, has alleged that the All Progressives Congress (APC) government in the state has wasted “over N100 million public fund to book all hotels in the state ahead of the June 21 governorship election.”
According to a statement by the Director General of Ayo Fayose Campaign Organisation (AFCO), Chief Dipo Anisulowo, Fayose alleged that the state government was acting in fear, saying “the government’s action is admittance of fear.”
AFCO said “it is wicked for the state government that refused to pay its hotel bills for over six months to have suddenly realised that it needed to pay over N100 million to book hotels just because of election.
But the APC described the allegation as “a non-issue.”
The APC which reacted to the allegation through its Director of Media, Mr Segun Dipe, said the allegation was “a non-issue which the people of the state must disregard.”
Anisulowo had said in the statement “all attempts to circumvent the will of Ekiti people by the APC government will fail,” saying “if they like, let them pay for all hotel rooms in Ekiti, let them pay for all farmlands and even vacant residential accommodations in Ekiti, they won’t survive defeat on June 21.”
Bamidele promises modern farming for rural dwellers

Governorship candidate of Labour Party (LP) in the June 21 governorship election in Ekiti State, Opeyemi Bamidele, has promised improved farming practices for rural farmers across Ekiti State if elected governor.
Bamidele was quoted to have stated this at Ajebandele-Alagbede, Aba Ilupeju and Aba Ede farm settlements in Ekiti South West Local Government of the state, during his campaign rally and meeting with the farmers in the communities.
He told them that since agriculture is the mainstay of Ekiti economy; he was prepared to introduce massive mechanised farming in their domain.
According to a statement made available to newsmen by his campaign organisation, Bamidele also stressed “the urgent need for revival of micro-finance and co-operative systems in Ekiti State to salvage current plight of rural farmers.”
Meanwhile, a political pressure group in Ekiti State, the Ekiti Good Governance Forum (EGGF) has described as “falsehood” claims of the candidate of the Labour Party on the execution of 89 people-oriented projects in his constituency as House of Representatives member as false.
According to the Coordinator of the group, Kola Adeleye, all that the lawmaker “has been claiming is nothing but blatant lies to deceive and confuse the unsuspecting members of the public to curry their favour during the June 21 governorship election in which he is the candidate of the LP.
Fayose ’ll emerge victorious —Babatope

A member of the Board of Trustees (BoT) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Ebenezer Babatope, on Tuesday, declared that the candidate of the party in the June 21 governorship election in Ekiti State, Mr Ayodele Fayose, would spring surprises at the poll and emerge victorious despite all the antics of the main opposition the All Progressives Congress (APC).
Speaking with the Nigerian Tribune, in Abuja, on the preparation of the PDP for the Ekiti governorship election, Chief Babatope said that the APC had already seen the hand writing on the wall and became panicked which made it to be crying wolf that PDP was planning to rig the election.
The former Transport and Aviation Minister, declared that there was no way PDP would descend so low to the level of planning to rig an election it was sure of winning and aware the consequences of election rigging in the history of South-West.
According to him, Ekiti is PDP,we lost the state true the back door, now, I can assure you that we are set to reclaim it on June 21 by the God’s grace I pity the main opposition, the APC, they are crying wolf that the PDP is planning to rig the election,how can that be possible? We are not for that, it is only the APC that can be planning that because now, the game is up.”

Source: Tribune

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...