29 June, 2014

BENGHAZI RAID SUSPECT IN US COURT

The suspected ringleader of the attack on the US consulate in Benghazi has appeared amid tight security at a US federal courthouse.
Ahmed Abu Khattala was captured by US forces in Benghazi on June 18.
He has repeatedly denied all the accusations against him. He says he was in Benghazi during the attack on the US consulate but that did not take part.
The US ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens, and three other people were killed in the 2012 attack.
“Ahmed Abu Khatallah is in law enforcement custody”, department of justice spokesman Bill Miller said.

Abu Khattala is charged with killing a person on US property, a firearms offence and providing material support to terrorism.
American media reported that Abu Khattala was brought to court in Washington from a US Navy warship where he had been held since being captured two weeks ago.
The US has described him as “key figure” in the attack on the consulate.
President Obama praised the raid which led to his capture earlier this month.
“When Americans are attacked, no matter how long it takes we will find those responsible and we will bring them to justice,” he said.
President Obama and then Secretary of State Hillary Clinton faced fierce criticism for not doing enough to prevent the attack.

Several Republican congressmen have called for Abu Khattala and other terror suspects to be held in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, reports the BBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...