•As sect suffers another defeat in Borno
THE alleged terrorists’ negotiator, Mr Stephen Davis, has vowed to release more names of financiers of the insurgent sect, Boko Haram, just as he confirmed that the leader of the group, the fake Abubakar Shekau, has, indeed, been killed.
Though government has denied ever contracting the Australian to negotiate with terrorists, he came out again at the weekend to speak over the matter.
Davies had recently named a former Chief of Army Staff (CAS), General Azubuike Ihejirika, and former governor of Borno State, Ali Modu Sheriff as sponsors of the dreaded insurgent group, an allegation both men have vehemently denied.
However, Davis, in the latest interview with an online platform, The Cable, on Saturday, promised to name “bigger” sponsors of the terrorist group in the country.
“I am going to have to name more sponsors very soon. The other sponsors are bigger than Sheriff,” he was quoted as saying.
Davis insisted that he believed that the original leader of the sect called Abubakar Shekau, had been killed since June 2013, adding that it was the impostor that was killed in a recent shootout in Konduga.
He advised the insurgents to wake up to the reality that they had been fooled by their leaders and sponsors, and as such, they should surrender the girls in their custody and take the current advantage to dialogue with the government.
“The death of the fake Shekau shows how the fighters have been duped and totally misled by the sponsors. The fighters and commanders would be wise to take this opportunity to reach out to the government for a peace dialogue.
“If they do not believe they can have a peace dialogue without being captured and executed, the alternative message I have for the commanders is this: Your sponsors will use you and sacrifice you, so they can gain power. Set the captive girls free and walk away from Boko Haram while you still have the opportunity,” he advised.
Nigerian Troops kill scores of terrorists, seize weapons
Meanwhile, Nigerian soldiers continued to record success in the fight against insurgency, as stubborn terrorists continued to push against the military despite receiving heavy bashing in the last two weeks in North-East.
According to PRNigeria, a top military source said despite the progress being made in efforts to decimate and contain insurgents, splinter cells of the terrorists group are still trying to carry out snap attacks on some communities.
They were, however, effectively beaten back in communities such as Konduga, Beneshek and Damboa where they made a number of attempts on Thursday and Friday.
According to the source, a multi barrel T55 tank, nine rifles, two machine guns, two rocket propelled grenade tubes, five boxes of ammunition and other weapons were seized from the terrorists, while over 40 of them died in the encounters in the three locations.
Troops also reportedly conducted a raid on terrorists’ enclave at Shindig. In all the operations, a total of 11 soldiers reportedly died, while 15 others are being treated for injuries sustained in the battles.
However, three are said to still be missing.
Source: Tribune

No comments:
Post a Comment