15 September, 2012

Nurse, associate sell twins, 8-month baby for N.5m


The Niger State Police command has smashed a human trafficking syndicate led by a nurse and her cohorts after selling a set of twins and an eight-month- old baby for N500,000 in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory.

“The syndicate was led by Martina Ohakwe, a 40-year-old female nurse with the General Hospital, Kubwa, a satellite town in Abuja and 33-year-old Kingsley Linus, an indigene of Imo State.

“The Niger State's Commissioner of Police, Mrs. Desire Nsirim, told newsmen yesterday in Minna that the suspects were rounded up following a tipoff from Suleja on September 9.“According to her, "The suspects, on interrogation, confessed to committing the crime. 

As a matter of fact, Mr. Linus slept with one of them, who did not even know she was pregnant until we found out. He had also promised all of them marriage on different occasions and assured them that he would take responsibilities for their upkeep. 

According to the Commissioner, one of the syndicate members, Linus, usually travels to states in the eastern part of the country where he lures unsuspecting young mothers and their babies to Abuja with promises of gainful employment only to camp them with his partner, Martina, before selling their babies at various sums of money.“In August, 2012, he deceived a 20- year- old Oluchi Agachi and her eight-month old baby from Enugu to Abuja with a promise of giving her a job, but her baby was later collected from her and sold to Martina for N100,000.“Linus also lured Ngozi Nwani, a 22-year old and her twins aged seven months from Abakiliki, Ebonyi State to Abuja.

Martina was alleged to have sold one of the twin baby girls to one Joy Opara, a 46-year- old in Abaji, Abuja for N400,000.“In a chat with the Nigerian Compass on Saturday, Linus said he was only trying to help the ladies after much plea from them.“He said: "I brought them to the woman (Martina) so they could be assisted. They begged me to give the babies to someone that can help take care of them and who would also pay them some money so that they can start doing something with their lives. 

The woman who is a nurse promised to take care of the children and assured that they would not be harmed or be allowed to be given to ritualists."“He said the woman promised to give the children the best in life until they grow up.“Linus regretted that he did not, in any way, gain anything except for his involvement in the deal. "Martina only promised to give me N20,000 for my effort."“He, however, denied sleeping with any of the ladies, saying, "I did not sleep with any of them. I don't know if someone else had access to them as to have impregnated any of them. I know the family of one of the ladies, but I don't know the other one, thoguh I brought them from Enugu," he claimed.“Speaking with our correspondent, Ngozi Nwani, mother of the twins, said she was coerced into the deal.“According to her, Linus went to her village to meet her brother whom she was staying with in Abakaliki that he wanted to marry her.

She added that he promised to get her a job in Abuja.“"After meeting with my brother, I was allowed to come to Abuja to stay with his so-called sister. Though I was not comfortable living there, I had to endure it because Linus had promised to marry        me,"she said. 

“Speaking on how her twin baby was sold, Ngozi said the woman took one of the babies to buy something and did not come back with her.

According to her, "When I asked about the whereabouts of my baby, she said the baby had been taken to the hospital for treatment. I told her that my baby was not sick and that I wanted her back. She said she had given my baby to someone that would take care of her. But I told her we never had that agreement.““I called my brother and told him what happened. It was when I raised the alarm people came. I told them what happened and we were taken to the police station, ” said Ngozi.

“The nurse declined to speak with our Correspondent.“The Commissioner of Police while assuring that the victims and the babies would be taken to the National Agency for Prohibition of Traffic in Persons (NAPTIP) for further investigation, said the syndicate members would be arraigned in court.“Mrs. Nsirim, however, advised young women to be careful in accepting offers from strangers to avoid any unpleasant incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...