16 November, 2012

Everything About My Wife Is Top Secret - Rap Star, Nigga Raw

He started his journey to music stardom with a participation in the 2002 edition of Benson & Hedges Grab The Mic competition for up-and-coming artistes, which he won with aplomb. Two years later, he blew away any iota of doubt about his virtuosity when he sensationally took the Nigerian music scene by storm with  “Obodo,” a groovy song featuring Klint Da Drunk, one of the biggest comic acts from Nigeria. He boomed again with his sophomore album with the main track “Spiritual Conji,” sticking to the pidgin rap style that made him a household name around the country. Today, Mr. Raw, whose real name is Okechukwu Ukeje, is one of Nigeria’s undisputed rap stars.
The Abia State-born rapper recently dropped a new single entitled “Timboli Mboli” which is globally burning the airwaves. He is not stopping at that. He has already concluded plans to launch his fourth album. Of this he says: “I’m hoping to drop another album before the end of this year. In as much as I will be coming out with a different genre of music, my personality, what I’m known for will not be missing in the songs.”
In this riveting chat with Entertainment Express, the rapper shares the story of his life, particularly, his struggles as an up-and-coming artiste. He also paints a portrait of his path to rap glory, especially the downside of changing his name from Nigga Raw to Mr. Raw Nwanne. He speaks with candour and emotion. This is the Mr. Raw story as has never been read anywhere before.
It’s been long we heard anything from Mr. Raw. Are you currently working on any?
I’m recording my next album. Already, I’ve done a lot of songs. Some are on air already, getting massive airplay right now. I’m also working towards some collaboration while trying to release some of my artistes, including my younger brother, Hype MC, and there is Mr. Bossa, my childhood friend who I’m looking forward to collaborating with in his forthcoming album.
Is your forthcoming album going to be your usual kind of music or something different from what you are known for?
 Not really, I’m going into other genres of music. You know music comes from the inside, and most times, an artiste has a style but the style will be placed on different beats. Sometimes we move according to our mood and how we feel on a particular song. Like if I do my rap song on reggae beat, you will think I’m doing a reggae song. Inasmuch as I will be coming out with a different genre of music, my personality, what I’m known for, will not be lacking in the songs.
Why this so much love for rap?
Rap is what I know how to do best. I still rap in Igbo and Pidgin English. That is why I tell you that I have my own fan base. I tried to rap in English and some people told me to drop it. They actually begged me to forget that style because it didn’t suit me. They told me that acting like a foreigner was not my style at all. I had to respect myself and continue with what I do best. I started rapping in English first, later, I added Pidgin to it. I found out that people loved the Pidgin. Then I added Igbo and I saw that the reaction was greater. That was how I started rapping in Pidgin English and Igbo.
Why is your fan base in Lagos and the south west in general, small in comparison to what you have in the east?
The truth is that the media is largely located here in Lagos. When I first got into music, I had it in mind that I was going to come to Lagos. But my market is in the south east, I cannot deny that. I still have to do what I have to do, so my people will relate to what I put out to them. I try to make sure everybody relates with my music. It’s not only about the east or west; I do travel outside the country also to play. Majority of the people in the east understand what I’m saying. Here in Lagos, fans frequently tell me “we like your style and the way you rap, but we don’t understand what you say,” unlike the Ibo people in the east who understand what I’m saying and also like my beat and rap style.
Your last album was in 2010, how did it fare in the market?
The album is not doing badly but it did not sell as much as my first and second album. I had issues with the marketer that marketed the last album, which is entitled End of Discussion. He had lots of problems and I didn’t know, so when we decided to go into the project, he was not ready. Even till today, people still complain to me that they can’t get my album anywhere.  Whenever I called the marketer, his number was always not reachable. It was later I heard he had issues with somebody, that he was locked up and nobody knew where he was. A lot of stories affected the sale of that album. On the internet, however, it is not doing badly. People go online to search and download the songs. It is not doing badly. I have shot some videos. I have played shows and heard people demanding some songs from that album.
Why have you not had any collaboration with a big or international star?
Most times I see myself trying to help people. I go out there and see people looking for platforms where they can showcase what they have - gifted artistes who don’t have the cash and experience. So most times when I’m working on my album, I see myself going towards that direction. A lot of them have actually gone ahead and made it in the industry. But I’m not the type that will come out and start calling names. I know a lot of them that appreciated what I did for them. In this my new album, I plan to collaborate with some known names. It will be a surprise. I’m already discussing it with them. I will still make provisions for the up-and-coming artistes. I have some big artistes I have spoken to about collaboration, they have accepted, so we are just taking our time.
Why did you change your name from Nigga Raw to Mr. Raw?
Well, a lot of OAPs actually found it difficult to say things about me, because they are not supposed to say Nigga (or Nigger) on air. The one that actually gave me that push to change my name was when I started getting complaints from people that they cannot buy my songs on the internet. I decided to check on some of these online sites and I didn’t see my name. I searched for my songs, it came up and I saw that they censored the word “Niggar.” They replaced the A alphabet with asterisk. And if you don’t put that asterisk, the name won’t come up. It was affecting my business, and I had to give it a thought. A lot of people outside the county who couldn’t get the hard copy were also finding it difficult to buy my music online, so I just decided to replace the Nigga with Mr. I remember doing some shows in America, and some people felt the name Nigga was not necessary. A lot of people still have not accepted the name Mr. Raw; even the people that did the rebranding story in the media still call me Nigga Raw. I understand that it’s a name that took me a long time to build. It is not going to spoil any market. It is going to be difficult, but as a business man, it was affecting my business, so I needed to take it off.
How did your music career start?
I won’t say I stumbled into music. Rather, it was something I fell in love with. I actually started developing that interest at a point when I and my friends were watching lots of American movies and listening to foreign songs. Some picked up interest in R&B, hip hop and reggae. But I went into this aspect of hip hop. I was listening to a lot of hip hop artistes at that time, and it helped me when I started writing my music. I started writing my own songs in 1992.
When was the first time you mounted a stage to perform?
I can’t really remember the first time. When we started, I and my friends can just be sitting down and before you know it, we’ve started rapping, making beats with our hands. We had lots of night club appearances. I remember one that happened at the Institute of Management and Technology, (IMT) Enugu. They had a show and they were auditioning artistes to perform. My friend, Smart MC and I attended the auditioned and we were picked at the end. We played at night; that same night, Ernest Azuzu performed too. He just got into IMT then. That was how we knew each other. Even the late MC Loph, we were all living in the same neighbourhood and we all picked interest in music. Most times we just gathered, rapped, and criticised one another.
At that point, who were your influences?
I would say Big Daddy Kane. I tried to sound like him. I was also listening to Red Man, Naughty by Nature, and a couple of Nigerian songs.
How does the inspiration come for your songs?
Inspiration comes from everything and anything; it depends on my mood. I remember most times, when driving or even sleeping, I can just wake up and I start writing songs. I use my phones a lot; if I get an idea, I will just hum it and record it, later I will develop it. So, inspiration comes from everywhere. Sometimes I might just be chatting with friends and people would say something and laugh over it. But on my own, I try to see it from another angle and see if something good can come out of it - it has worked magic for me most times. When I’m driving, I might see kids going to school and I would just start singing with it. If some people say they smoke and get inspired, that does not mean every artiste does so. Why do people always have this in mind that everybody gets inspired from smoking? If smoking is what gives artistes the inspiration to perform, why is everybody not performing? Why is everybody not smoking and doing the performances? I feel people that smoke and drink do so because they like it. So do drinks also give inspiration? If you don’t know Mathematics, you don’t know it, no amount of drinking or smoking will make you know it - that is also applicable to music.
What were the challenges you faced as an up-and-coming artiste?
Basically it was money. One had to go to the studio to record and sometimes a particular song will be done over and over again. Sometimes you don’t even know the outcome of what you are going to do. You might have the idea and the producer might not give you what you want and the money you paid will just be gone. Sometimes you have to sacrifice feeding to record songs. Even on my first album - sometimes you see yourself recording up to 15 to 20 songs and at the end of the day, you are releasing just 12. At the point when you are picking songs, you don’t actually like some of them again. The biggest challenge I had then was money, the inspiration for songs was there. But the money to record the songs was not readily available. Sometimes when you have the money, you will have to share them into other things, and I was not signed into any record label.
In the midst of all those challenges, when did your breakthrough in the industry come?
I would say 2002, the time I participated in Benson &vHedges Grab The Mic competition in Enugu which I won. They did the eastern competition in Anambra. I represented Enugu and I came second. We went to Abuja for the grand finale where we had artistes from Jos, Kaduna, and other places and I won the overall competition. So I would say that was how it started, because for the first time, I was in the media – newspaper, TV, radio - in the news everywhere. I was just having fun writing and singing until when some friends told me about the competition for up-and-coming artistes. I participated not knowing I would go that far. Funny enough, P Square won this same award in 2001, and in 2002, they toured the whole country. They performed anytime the competition came up, that was the agreement. When they did the grand finale, they will hand over to the person that won, the same person will tour the country the next year and hand over to the next winner. After I won that 2002 edition, the competition stopped, because the Federal Government had issues with the company. They stopped all their billboard adverts. Till date, I’m still with the plaque. In that same 2002, we had Star Quest musical show which was organised by the Nigerian Brewries.  Klint Da Drunk and I participated as ‘The Comedians’ which was our stage name and we came second. My rap sounded funny and Klint was an established comedian. So we joined forces and we used the name The Comedians. KC Presh won the competition.
Did you make your first million within that period?
The competitions gave me name and fame, all I had to do was to move with it and deliver because there was already pressure, people were already asking for my album and all that. I think I made about N100, 000 and a set of Premier drumset in the B &H competition, and I made name. I would say I made my first million with the Star Quest competition.
Was that when you started using Nigga Raw as your stage name?
No, I had been using it before then. I used to be very raw and vulgar when I was in the secondary school. So my friends started referring to me as somebody who was very raw. When I decided to go into music, I used the name Raw, and I just added Nigga to get Nigga Raw.
Did you study in Enugu too?
Yes, I am a graduate of Business Administration and Management from IMT, Enugu.
Having come this far in the Nigeria music industry, how do you see the industry today?
We are still moving. It’s a gradual process, and I think it is getting better and better. The way it is this year, is not the way it was last year and by next year it will still get better. You can see new artistes coming up and the old artistes don’t want to lose their spot. The new ones need a spot to showcase their talents, so the competition is healthy. Now you don’t just bring out anything because you are this or that and expect people to buy. You have to bring out exceptional and creative work to survive now in this industry. If your job is not good, people will tell you it is not good and it won’t be played. There are a million and one songs that need airplay, so you have to prove it to them that you are still good.
You have grown so much in the industry; how much more would you still want to grow?
I’m having fun and I thank God that I’m getting paid for having fun. I’ve been so blessed now I just want to be a blessing to others. I want to continue doing what I’m doing now, till it’s time for me to step down for other people to take over.
How was growing up like?
I’m the third-born and the third son in a family of eight children. We are five boys and three girls in my family. I’m from Abia State. I had a memorable growing-up experience.
What has life taught you?
Life has taught me not to treat other people as lesser beings. Just like they say in Pidgin, Person wey dey drink Garri get plan. Sometimes you see the light and feel that is all and would want to underrate the next person after you. It doesn’t work that way. Where you are is not where you will be tomorrow. You either move up or you move down. But most times we make our move the way we feel is the best, but the best thing that life has taught me is to respect other people regardless of their state, their age and their status. Treat them how you want to be treated.
What is the best advice you’ve ever been given and by whom?
My dad gave me the best advice. He told me if music is what I really want to do, that he is not going to stop me, but that I should have where I’m coming from at the back of my mind. He advised me not to let the family down. I’ve always had that at the back of my mind. The second best advice, was just a discussion I was having with someone, he is an older person, Chief Ukonu, and he was like “Raw, you are an artiste, you have a very bright future, people like you, but please whatever you do, always pay your tithes.” Since then, even though I miss church sometimes (because of our type of work and therefore my tithes accumulate) I make sure I clear it all - I don’t joke with my tithes.
What part of your past would have loved to erase?
I don’t know, because whatever I might have done in the past actually helped me to become a man today. So I wouldn’t want to erase anything. I might not be where I’m today if not because of those pasts. I don’t have any regret; I’m counting my blessings, so I won’t start talking about regrets.
If you were not into music, what else would you have been doing?
I probably would have been doing business. Even at a point in my life, I thought about traveling out of the country.
What kind of advice would you give an up-and-coming artiste?
I would tell the person to keep his eyes on the price. You are going somewhere. So avoid the distractions around you. Dreams do come through, so avoid things that will stop you from achieving them. You have to be prayerful, and consistency matters a lot. When you fail, try and keep trying. Because somebody made it in one month does not mean you can make it in one month. Even people you are better than could even look as if they are excelling more than you, but if you keep doing what you are doing, you will get to that destination and your dreams will come true.
Is Mr. Raw married?
Yes.
How have you been faring as a married artiste?
 I don’t like saying anything about my marital life
As an artiste, you come across different girls more than other men, so what attracted you to your wife?
My private life is very private, and I keep it away from the public. I should keep what attracted me to my wife to myself.
So what kind of women do you admire?
I think I admire brain and beauty, and of course, a woman who is God-fearing.
Were these the qualities that made you say, ‘I do to your wife?’
Anything could have attracted me to her. The fact is that something attracted me, but that thing remains private to me, it’s not for public consumption. I guide my family affair jealously.
Have you ever had it tough in life?
I wasn’t born with a silver spoon. Though we were very okay, at a time things were hard. I’ve experienced poverty before. Growing up was fun, but along the line, things weren’t as smooth as it used to be for my dad, who was working then as a civil servant. Later he retired and we had to adjust. But it was still fun.
What is your definition of success?
I would say it’s when you are happy. It is not money. Some people have money and are not happy. It can be defined in a lot of ways. But I think if you are happy with what you are doing, I think that is success.
Do you see yourself as successful man?
I’m a happy ma; therefore, I’m a successful man.
How soon are you dropping your album?
I’m hoping to drop my album before the end of this year, no date is fixed yet. One or two artistes I’m supposed to collaborate with are yet to record their parts because they are busy. That is what is holding my album. I will be having about 12 songs in the album; I don’t want to overpack it. There is “Timboliboli” which everybody is already enjoying. I also have a couple of other songs out there, even with videos.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...